Menopause is a natural aging process. Navigating through this phase with lifestyle improvements and a positive approach could make a lot of difference. Has CBD got a role to play? Let us discuss further.
The tall list of symptoms associated with menopause makes us worried, anxious, and pessimistic. So I am eager to share some insights on taking a positive approach to this stereotypical thinking around menopause.
Are hot flashes, weight gain, lowered sex drive, sleep troubles, mood swings, annoying you?!
Come on! Pat yourself, thank your body for having taken you this far, smile, and get set for yet another transformation.
Therefore, consider this post as a discussion guide to improve your understanding of menopause and make informed decisions about using CBD to handle the discomforts during this phase of life.
- Is CBD beneficial for menopause?
- Does CBD help balance hormones?
- Which CBD is good?
- Menopause Diet Ideas
- What does science say about CBD and women’s health?
- Menopause and Andropause: Some Insights
Is CBD beneficial for menopause?
Firstly, let us understand that menopause is a natural transformation process for your mind, body, and soul. So, how about artistically approaching this phase of life with the help of scientific methods? Could it help discover new perspectives while combating the annoying menopausal symptoms with ease?
There is a wide range of symptoms that menopause displays. Physical symptoms include vasomotor symptoms (commonly known as hot flashes), night sweats, sleep disturbances, weight gain due to decreased metabolism, urinary incontinence, dizziness, headaches, loss of bone density, joint pain, breast tenderness, hair growth in unwanted parts, and more.
Additionally, mental troubles include mood changes, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and so on. Also, vaginal dryness and declining estrogen levels lower your sex drive.
Now, looking at the suitability of CBD products to these menopause symptoms, anecdotal and self-reported surveys of women using CBD oil for managing insomnia, hormonal imbalances, and mental stress are worth considering.
For example, medical experts opine that cannabinoids could help manage the triggers of hot flashes. Aging women are susceptible to high stress and uncertainty, which leaves them anxious. Therefore, practitioners report that women who have adopted CBD products have responded well.
Similarly, reference from another anecdotal information records that women find comfort from insomnia and hot flashes when using CBD products. And consider them as alternatives to opioids and NSAID class painkillers.
Moreover, clinical interventions such as hormonal therapy are effective treatments for menopause symptoms such as inhibiting bone loss, reducing fracture incidence in postmenopausal women, and restraining long-term estrogen deficiency. But hormone replacement therapy does cause side effects depending on your age, medical history, and condition.
Does CBD help balance hormones?
In general hormonal imbalances could affect both men and women, mostly during their middle ages. And the resulting conditions can be overwhelming. The endocrine system consists of glands responsible for producing hormones that regulate growth, metabolism, reproduction, mood, and sexual health. Hence fluctuations in these hormones give rise to health conditions including diabetes, thyroid disorders, obesity, osteoporosis, PCOS, and more.
When it comes to women, puberty, pregnancy, breastfeeding, and menopause are significant biological events that trigger hormonal fluctuations.
- A 2018 study reports the interconnection between the endocannabinoid system and the functions of the endocrine system. Cannabis-derived compounds exert their effects by interacting with the cannabinoid receptors.
- Another study points that CBD interferes with cortisol secretion,
- Estrogen and the endocannabinoid system have direct and indirect interactions. The endocannabinoid system impacts the release of estrogen through the central down-regulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH).
Recommended reading: How does CBD interact with the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
It is important to note that there is no reference to clinical trials on managing menopause with cannabis products. Despite the popular applicability of CBD products in multitude of domains, this topic has received limited research attention.
Which CBD product is good for menopause?
CBD products are available in several forms that give you the convenience of personalizing it according to your needs. That includes CBD oils, CBD capsules, CBD vape liquids, CBD supplements, CBD topicals, and more.
- In which route can I take my CBD?
- What CBD dosage could provide me relief?
These are the two questions that you may find solutions to from your personal experience. For example, women in the perimenopause phase (six months to one year) is the transitional phase where considerable hormone fluctuations occur. So, this period could display most of the symptoms in a much-pronounced manner.
Here are a few options for you to consider while choosing your CBD:
- Full-spectrum CBD oils contain all the cannabinoids and terpenes that could give you the entourage effect. You could sublingually take a few drops as recommended. Or you could add them to your food and take them twice or thrice a day. It could take 15-20 minutes to get absorbed, and the effect could last between 4-6 hours.
- If you are a new user of CBD, start low. Micro dosing may be an effective method to keep you active throughout the day.
- CBD capsules are also a good choice. The onset time could be a little longer, say, roughly an hour ( 60 minutes), but its effect can last for 6-10 hours. For experienced users, CBD concentrates could provide a quicker onset time to get absorbed by the bloodstream.
- Vaporizing may not be suggested for women who are undergoing hormone replacement therapies or other complications.
- Studies have shown that phytocannabinoids and terpenes interaction produces a synergistic effect. Terpenes such as Myrcene, Linalool, Caryophyllene help manage pain, inflammation, depression, anxiety, and bacterial infections.
Ultimately, you can choose how you prefer to take your CBD based on the symptoms that need the most attention. Consult with your medical expert to give you a suggestion about the appropriate dosage that suits you, considering your intake of other medications.
Menopause Diet – Some Ideas
Planning a good diet could save you from a lot of troubles. Your perfect menopause diet should provide you with:
- adequate nutrition,
- check fluctuating sugar levels that can help maintain weight
- improve hormonal balance and reduce inflammation.
Therefore to attain the above diet goals:
- Include fiber-rich food such as oats, brown rice, millets, and whole grains.
- Liberally take fruits such as papaya, apples, kiwi, guava, and vegetables such as carrots, beetroots, bell peppers, broccoli.
- Studies suggest that intake of lignans shows a 15% decreased risk in post-menopausal women. You can find dietary Lignans in cereals and oilseeds.
- Increase lignans intake from sources such as wheat, oat, barley, and rye cereals. Also include oilseeds such as flax seeds, sesame seeds, and hemp seeds. These are also rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that help maintain hormonal balance.
- Phytoestrogen-rich foods help tackle weakened bones due to estrogen deficiency. They include Tofu and Fish such as Tuna, Salmon, and Mackerel. Similarly, soy milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese, green leafy vegetables, spinach, kale, may help improve bone loss.
- Vitamin B6, Calcium, Protein, B complex in the form of supplements could be helpful.
Now, you have a chance to generously treat yourself with a portion of nutritious food every day. Go ahead! Be creative and infuse CBD oil in your smoothies, salads, pasta, and sandwiches, and keep yourself feeling good.
Not to forget, avoid caffeine, tea, alcohol, tobacco, refined food, sugary confectionery, and spicy food as these could make you acidic. Acidity could eventually affect your bone health and aggravate your condition.
What does science say?
Perimenopause, Menopause, and Post-menopause are the three phases in a women’s mid-life. Although this prolonged period affects the quality of life of women, there are little to no studies that focus on the applicability of CBD to handle the troublesome symptoms that accompany this phase.
Available observational and clinical studies provide data only around menopause, hormone replacement therapy, and breast cancer. But, natural events for women such as puberty, pregnancy, and menopause need more attention.
Therefore, there is a need for more conclusive studies to substantiate the use of CBD and if CBD could help in alleviating specific health conditions.
Menopause and Andropause: Some Insights
The mid-life crisis affects both men and women.
While women experience a decline in estrogen levels, andropause affects 50 years and older men who experience a drop in testosterone levels.
But andropause is a debatable topic. Studies say that not all men undergo this phase, even though the symptoms are similar to what women face. Hot flashes, reduced sex drive, depression, mood changes, and anxiety could affect men in their mid-life in their early 40’s.
Studies say that men process pain and aging differently. That is why maybe they avoid talking about it. CBD could help them too in handling uncomfortable symptoms. So, do support your better half, brother, or friend if they need your support in handling andropause.
- The average menopause age is 51.2 years, but perimenopause symptoms begin 3-5 years earlier. Moreover, studies say that race, ethnicity, lifestyle, and demographic factors affect the onset age.
- Scientific studies are yet to certify cannabis products for handling menopause symptoms. But increasing self-reported surveys from women show interest in CBD to manage their mid-life crisis.
- Micro-dosing of CBD could be an effective method to keep the body comfortable throughout the day.
- Kegel exercises, specific yoga asanas such as Adho Mukha Svanasana, Uttana Shishosana, could provide relief from sleep disturbances, reduce anxiety and help improve sleep. Similarly, research emphasizes complementary health practices such as hypnosis, mindfulness meditation, tai chi combined with botanicals and natural supplements for women who seek alternative remedies.
- Ultimately, brush aside all the inconveniences and think of the bright side. Rediscover the new you! How about trying our CBD cosmetics range that not only pampers your senses but also integrates all the benefits of CBD.
Share this post with a friend of yours and improve your positive karmic footprint. Stay social and subscribe to our newsletters.